Wednesday 15 August 2012

Buffy Cake

I think that small cakes make great presents, and this week I made two of them.  One was a birthday cake for a Buffy fan, and one was to say thanks to someone.  Bet you'll never guess which one is which :)

The Buffy cake was made after a quick search on the internet for ideas, and combining a couple of different designs that others had made.  My hubbie did the writing and outline for me which was a big help.  To get the image, I printed a picture off the internet and then reduced it to the right size so that I could trace it onto baking paper.  Then I lay the paper onto thinly rolled fondant and cut around the tracing with a scalpel, and stuck it in place on the cake with a little sugar water.  The black outline was added with a food-safe pen once the fondant had dried.  The flowers for both cakes are really simple - I will blog about tips for making flowers soon.

Both of these cakes were made using a new chocolate mudcake recipe - you can find it by Googling for 'Pam's Chocolate Mudcake'.  Apparently it a recipe that a lot of cake decorators use as it is quite dense, but also moist.  I have found a couple of different versions, and so am working my way through them to see which is best!  The layers of ganache within the cake are particularly tasty :)

-N-

No comments:

Post a Comment