Thursday 15 November 2012

Unicorn Cake

Wow, I am not good at keeping this blog up to date. Whoops.  I'm always hanging out for other bloggers to post, but forget to do the same :)

Well, here is my latest cake.  I was asked to make a unicorn cake for Alice's 6th birthday.  This was the first cake where I have had issues with air bubbles under the fondant.  Ugh!  It was stressful!  The first one appeared after the icing had dried overnight.  And set.  But it was only a little air bubble and I sorted it out (or so I thought) using a pin and smoothing the icing down.  Then I went to work for the day.  And arrived home to a massive volcano air bubble.  Ok, so it wasn't really the size of a volcano, but it was pretty big.  I thought that I was going to have to pull off all of the purple fondant and start again, because the whole layer had set into something that resembled a hill.  The pale purple layer came in handy to cover the hole that I had to create to get rid of the air bubble!  The rest of the cake was pretty uneventful, but I won't be leaving any cakes anywhere near a window again (curtain closed or not!).

-N-

2 comments:

  1. Your cakes are so impressive....I can see why you love playing around with them so much...and no one would even know there were any air bubbles to be seen. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your full content and I'm very thankful to say that it's amazing. Keep sharing with us...


    Smash cake
    Lego Cake

    ReplyDelete