Monday 10 October 2011

Purple Cakes


Work has been getting to me lately, and so around this time last week I decided that I would like to make about two cakes per month - not heading for a career change, but frequent enough to practise and maybe make a little pocket money (to pay for more cake decorating classes!).

This week I had four cakes to make in ten days.
The icecream scoop cake was first on the list.  Since that documented disasterous process, I have also decided to only try out one new technique per cake if possible.

Mum's birthday cake was my first to make for the weekend.  I had planned to make her a handbag cake but changed my mind - she loves flowers and craft, and so I tried out a quilting pattern and some new flowers, both of which were surprisingly easy to do.  My initial plan was for the top and sides of the cake to be purple, but a mishap with the quilting tool meant that I re-did the top in pink.  I think that it turned out better this way.

Mum's Flower Cake

I finished the purple handbag mudcake this morning, for a friend's birthday.  It was the first time that I have tried this shape of cake - I had a few hassles trying to get the strap right, but the rest of the cake turned out ok.  I think that it would look nice in black.


Purple Handbag Mudcake
 
Next on the list is Ann's 60th Birthday Cake for Sunday, and then I have one cake to make for November at this stage.  I wonder how my plans will go for two cakes per month?

-N-


No comments:

Post a Comment